Torgesen Family Times


{We are trying to enjoy and record the moments that make life special}
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Guess what????

I'm pregnant and expecting a baby at the end of April (April 25th to be exact)!

I have been feeling tired and nauseous, like a normal pregnant lady, but you do forget! I'm about 11 weeks along and right in the thick of it all. Hopefully by 14/16/18 weeks, I will be feeling full of energy, the urge to nest and be feeling like food sounds even remotely good. I've lost about 5-10 lbs because of the nausea. But, the same old foods that if I can't eat anything are holding true this time - cold cereal, bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and yogurt. Weird mix - I know - but that is what it is.

I haven't been feeling like doing ANYTHING, not even taking pictures lately. Vacuum/cleaning/cooking/picking up toys - why? It's too much for me right now. I come home from work and pick up Alex and sit on the couch for the rest of the night. Lance has been calling me "lump" because all I do is sit on the couch. We got to see a quick ultrasound of our baby and he/she is doing well.

But, with all this - my back has been hurting and a good friend told me about how she has been seeing a chiropractor during her pregnancy and how she has been feeling better. I looked into it and decided to go. I went last Wednesday and had an adjustment and felt SO SO SO good afterwards. Nausea usually comes around lunch time for me, and lasts until about 8-9 PM. But, that day and the next day I barely had any nausea. My back felt better, so much better, and I felt like my old self again.

I went again on Friday having great expectations.... sidetrack here ..... Along with everything, I'm monitoring my blood pressure daily because of the pre-eclamsia with Alex. So, I got a new monitor a few days before and started monitoring. It was reading about 100/65. Pretty low for me. But, I thought... it's a new monitor for me, so I would talk to my doctor about it when I saw her next month. Well, Chiropractic is known for lowering blood pressure, which is one of the reasons I wanted to do it. It's natural and it could help me out if my blood pressure starts to creep up. But, on top of that I am taking a low dose of a blood pressure medication because after Alex, my BP was pre-hypertension (~135/85) and it's better to control it now that have 20 years of pre-hypertension. Which I take in the morning.

Some of you might see where this is going....

I fainted at the chiropractor. She took my BP before the adjustment, did the adjustment and I started to feel lightheaded. I sat down and she started to take my BP again and I got that black tunnel vision and the next thing I know I'm resting my head on her shoulder wondering what the heck happened. I was only out for a few seconds, but it was pretty scary. I probably scared the crappola out of the chiropractor.

Turns out that early in pregnancy with all the blood volume changes, my blood pressure actually was ~100/65 and the chiropractic really lowered it even more, so much more that I fainted. I guess it's normal to have your BP lower in the first trimester. I had no idea.

I went to see my family doctor the day I fainted to make sure everything was OK, and it was. But, she told me to get off the BP medication immediately and to keep monitoring 2x a day.

We'll see how it goes!

Anyways, It's been hard to not share the news that we are expecting. But, we've come to the time when we can shout it from the roof tops. We are exciting, scared, thrilled, tired and wondering how we are going to do it all. But, what we've learned from parenthood, is that we'll figure it out together.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Congratulations Allison! What great news! You'll get to do your very own newborn portrait shoot. :)

Kathy said...

Another thing that can lower blood pressure: dehydration from morning sickness! I landed in the ER a few times because my BP got too low, causing a killer headache, which made the nausea worse, and so on. A few liters of IV fluids, IV anti-nausea meds, and strong IV narcotics made everything better! (For a few days.)

Ironic for us gals with history of preeclampsia to run into low BP problems, huh?

Hang in there! (And if your chiropractor can't fix everything, I found a FANTASTIC obstetrical physical therapist.)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Allison and Lance, What a big surprise!!!
Love, Dad